Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Resistance is Futile

I have been equally laboring over and procrastinating over one particular wedding-related project: my slip.

I've been fairly obsessed with this photo even wayyy before the wedding was even a glimmer in my eye:


image found here: models.com/oftheminute/?p=1288
(you might not be able to see well, but there is a layer of sheer dotted fabric)


Oh the many layers. The lace. The dots. Oh the glory of it all.

I couldn't find anything like this anywhere, but I lusted after it so. And, I actually needed some sort of slip, because my dress is fairly sheer. The industrious person that I am, I thought, "I WILL SEW IT MYSELF!" as if it was that easy. I found some really fantastic antique net lace on ebay... picked up some charmeuse at Joann's...I even bought a vintage pattern for kicks. The result...eh. It was not all the glory of Estee's add. It was cool, because I made it, but it just didn't do it for me. Plus, I didn't leave myself quite enough fabric at the bottom, so I think my dancing might have been inhibited. Anyway. I tried.

I happen to be traveling for work right now, and so while sitting around with nothing better to do, I hopped over to the danger zone: Ebay.

A few clicks. An innocent browse. Here's what I found:


(click for a larger image)

An audible and embarassing squeal popped out...



And then an even louder one... DOTS people DOTS! The underlayer is a sheer dotted fabric!

So, even though it was very expensive, and I'm sure my grandma will be very disappointed that I didn't see my craft project through, I don't think that my sewing skills can compete with such an amazing skirt/slip. From France, and perhaps from the nineteenth century.

Just incredible. The seller, French-at-heart has many other fabulous things. I just can't wait to try it on with my dress (on Sunday! BaH!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit jealous of the preciousness of this, and curious about the cost...email me :)
-J.Ro

Jenna said...

Oh that is adorable. I'll be noting this for the possibility that I can do something similar. So much more elegant than a big poufy crinoline.